Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Jimmy


Paul had a girl named Andrea
and he pitched us a plan.
Jimmy gave me a look
that said, "bad idea."
He was always a cautious cat until he wasn't. 
Paul and I talked him into it. 

We turned on to Andrea Lane and Jimmy backed the truck right up under the street sign. 

Paul tried to pry the sign off
He pushed and pulled and pushed and pulled.

Jimmy and I were good for nothing. 
We couldn't reach it.
We sorta kept a lookout.

Paul finally got it loose
and Jimmy drove like a scalded dog in that little Toyota pickup. 

We got some late night breakfast and laughed and laughed, reveling in our victory. 

Jimmy's gone now. 
A monster got him. 
And who can defeat a monster?
Jimmy tried and then went to be with God. 

I didn't make it to his funeral. 
I think Paul went.
Maybe Danny made it.
I had something but then again we've all got something,
a lost dog, a busted air conditioner, the kid's first Girl Scout meeting, 
an aging Grandmom, a selfish fear of death, or some other dragon
that prevents us from saying goodbye to a friend.

Jimmy was my good friend. 

No comments: